This week I’ve been doing much more of the same, with Before The End coming along very well, I’m halfway through the current edit looking at plot and pacing.
When I’m not editing my attention has turned to the release strategy for the second in the series.
Before The End Release Strategy
Typical strategies for multiple books would be to discount the first book to drive sales to the next at full price.
I see the options for this strategy are as follows:
- Make In The End permafree on Amazon and hope follow-on sales naturally head the way of Before The End
- Make In The End £0.99/$0.99 on Amazon and hope follow on sales naturally head the way of Before The End
- Keep In The End at normal price but give away free from my website in exchange for joining a mailing list. Use the mailing list to drive sales to Before The End
- Write a novella in the world of the series and offer it either free on Amazon or in exchange for joining a mailing list
I’m moving towards the novella idea, often called a Magnet Novella, which I will give away in exchange for joining a mailing list. Once you’ve built a mailing list, a massive task in itself, you have a great way of marketing directly and for building an advertising audience on Facebook.
If I give away In The End for free, either on Amazon or via a mailing list, I will need to remove it from Kindle Unlimited, but it would allow me to try distribution through other channels.
All of the strategies require a landing page where I can drive advertising. This will be a separate site and another expense, but WordPress does not provide the capability for performing this role.
For mailing lists management I will also need another site. The mailing list will not be the same as subscribing to my blog posts, the mailing list will only be for fans and will be very much marketing related.
Other things I will need to do will include:
- Updating the call to action page in In The End with the details of Before The End
- Write the novella. This will be a tricky write. I need to provide intrigue to the setting, hooking in the reader in around 30,000 pages, but all without spoiling any of the ‘reveals’ in In The End. I am going to go full planning on this as I think it’s going to need it!
In Other News
- In The End Audiobook – The production is completed and all paid up. Now it’s off to ACX to approve the final product and start distribution. I have no idea of timescale or if I will get a release date in advance, so I guess it’s just a case of waiting.
- I have my updated author copies of In The End for signing (two weeks to go), so my worries about not having them in time were unfounded. Plan for the worst and all that!
That’s it for me for this week! Comments and suggestions welcomed as always!